Job ID: 859908157
Shift: Day Job
Facility: UPMC Presbyterian
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Union Position: No
Salary Range: $ 0.0-0.0 USD
This system-wide position will develop, Implement, and Direct Engineering Strategies, Capital Budgeting, and Commodity Acquisition to Minimize the Corporation's Energy Expenditures and Coincident Environmental Impact, while Assuring the Highest Level of Supply Dependability and Smallest Carbon Footprint. The position must achieve substantial and sustainable reductions in UPMC's annual spend on non-communication utilities and in direct/indirect costs of the coincident environmental impact caused through the consumption of electricity, natural gas, fuel oil, steam, and chilled water, as well as the disposal of their effluents.
- Direct the development and management of system-wide budgets for energy and utilities (includes all UPMC facilities).
- Minimizes UPMC staffing requirements through the aggressive use and management of engineering, regulatory, legal and environmental consultants by planning and monitoring work performed by these outside contractors to ensure the work is completed properly, on schedule, and meets required standards.
- Contribute to the architecture and planning of new healthcare facilities in a manner consistent with energy program strategy. Consults with officials, engineers, architects, and facility owners/operators to present technical findings and recommendations regarding the feasibility of alternative, renewable, and fossil energy technologies, and provide technical information relating to energy efficiency improvements.
- Establish system-wide energy, water use and effluent elimination and disposal policies and appraise executive management on a quarterly basis.
- Reduce system expenditures on non-communication utilities and the indirect costs of consumption (primarily emissions) via conservation of use, prudent commodity acquisition and the trading of CO2 and other effluent credits. Accomplish through the strategic allocation of the capital budget and the management of the annual operating budget.
- Communicates with staff to keep them abreast of policy changes, new procedures, standards of performance, and departmental/UPMC activities.
- Develops, reviews and revises the departmental organization structure to ensure maximum effectiveness.
- Directs record-keeping functions to assure timely and accurate financial and personnel reports.
- Direct the acquisition of commodities and procurement of energy for the system.
- Serve on the Federal Department of Energy's Energy Smart Hospitals Steering Committee, Pennsylvania's Department of Environmental Protection's E2 P2 Committee, Duquesne Light Company's Act 129 Industry Advisory Council, membership and participation in PennFuture's Sustainable Energy and Clean Environment Committee and maintain continuous contact with Pennsylvania's Energy Development Authority.
- Maintain knowledge of current and evolving legislative initiatives and provide input to UPMC's Government Affairs officers regarding potential impact on UPMC. Maximize State and Federal government environmental legislative incentives while minimizing possible penalties.
- Oversees personnel practices including recruitment, orientation, training, retention and performance management of staff within the department according to departmental and hospital policy.
- Develop, implement and manage comprehensive UPMC energy plan and related strategies to support mission of minimizing system's energy expenditures while enhancing conservation, reducing consumption and environmental impact, and maintaining highest level of energy supply dependability.
- Advance mission of UPMC's energy and environmental policies by proactively influencing related legislation and regulatory agency policies through active participation in appropriate formal and ad hoc groups and by developing and effectively articulating UPMC energy and environmental position recommendations to appropriate government bodies.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Civil Engineering.
- Coursework of concentration in Energy Management preferred.
- Five (5) years leadership experience in operations.
- Proven experience in successfully managing large, multi-million dollar budgets including operating and commodity acquisition budgets.
- Comprehensive knowledge in energy management program development and management as well as the principles, practices and administration of energy/conservation engineering.
- Comprehensive knowledge of current and evolving energy and environmental laws and regulations of federal and state governments, as well as nationally recognized healthcare codes.
- Comprehensive knowledge of alternative, renewable, and fossil energy sources, and energy efficiency methods as well as current and evolving technologies, equipment, and materials.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the process of successful grant application for federal, state and private foundations.
- Comprehensive knowledge of energy production, supply and demand dynamics, as well as financial and hedging strategies connected to commodity markets and the evolving financial trading of Carbon Credits.
- Excellent analytical, strategy development and execution skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and consultative skills.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
COVID-19 Vaccine Information : Individuals hired into certain roles must comply with UPMC’s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment. Learn more here.
BENEFITS AND LIFE AT UPMC
We know that you have many options when choosing where to build your career. So why choose UPMC? We can think of a few reasons.
Benefits that Matter to You
We’re committed to providing you with benefits that meet your needs and support your well-being in all areas of life.
- Over 5 Weeks of Paid Time Off Every Year
- 8% Employer Match on Retirement
- Employer-Paid Life Insurance
- Affordable Medical, Dental & Vision Coverage
- Student Loan Assistance
- $18/Hour Minimum Wage by 2026
Support for You – and Your Family
Your career doesn’t impact just you, but the people you care about, too. We’re making sure your career works for the whole family.
- Two Weeks of Paid Parental Leave
- Family Planning Resources
- Tuition Assistance for Dependents
- Comprehensive Health Care for Dependents
- Emergency Child and Elder Care Options
- Flexible Work Arrangements
A Culture That Cares
At UPMC, you can find a home among people who share your passions and care about who you are.
- Employee Resource Groups
- Awards for Champions of Dignity & Respect
- Center for Engagement & Inclusion
- Programs for Veteran Engagement
Tools to Reach Your Potential
Once you become a member of our team, the journey doesn’t stop there. UPMC is committed to supporting your growth and helping you build the career of your dreams.
- Up to $6,000 of Annual Tuition Assistance
- Ongoing Learning via Linkedin Learning
- Accelerated Career Pathways for Growth
- Robust Instructor-led Education and Learning Pathways
Where do you want to go with your career? Wherever it is, UPMC can take you there.
- 92,000+ Employees
- 40 Hospitals and 800+ Doctors’ Offices and Outpatient Sites
- Dozens of Career Ladders to Climb
- International Locations
- State-of-the-Art Technology